The Little Blue NRD voluntarily works with communities to provide the information and education needed in the developement and maintenance of a Wellhead Protection Area. Services that can be provided to a community interested in a Wellhead Protection Area are:
- Voluntary training sessions on water management techniques, pumping plant efficiency new technologies and research, fertilizer management, etc.
- Encourage the use of BMP's as listed in the District Groundwater Management Plan.
- Sponsor and participate in demonstration projects.
- Provide public information and education programs through newsletters, articles, pamphlets, TV, radio, magazine or public forums.
- Establish water conservation, lawn care and management programs in cooperation with cities and villages.
- Provide technical assistance in developing efficient irrigation systems and management schemes.
- Offer in-house nitrate analysis with Hach Spectrophotometer.
- Maintain an ongoing program of sampling wells for groundwater quality throughout the area. Identify any obvious sources of pollution.
- Cost share assistance on well decommissioning, soil sampling, irrigation management, buffer strips, nutrient management and trees
- Establish controls and program requirements for new water wells, well abandonment, chemigation and sharing of information with various agencies.
Residents of cites and villages should contact their local city office to inquire about any nitrate questions you may have.