Community Tree Program
This program offers financial assistance to citizen groups, civic organizations and governmental agencies in the development and/or improvement of Urban Tree Resources. The Community Tree Program encourages cities to develop an ongoing tree improvement program which, according to Community Forestry Standards, qualifies them for Tree City USA designation under Tier One Criteria.
- Planting of all new, healthy, nursery tree and shrub stock
- Replacement of city street trees
- New planting of city street trees
- Tree plantings on city-owned parcels
- Parks, cemeteries, town entrances and boulevards
The Community Tree Resources Program
- Establish a legally constituted Community Tree Board that has the responsibility of the proper public tree resource management. The Board may be an existing organized body, such as a town board.
- Conduct an inventory and assess the current public trees. The area Forester will conduct inventories and NRD personnel may assist.
- The Plan must be approved by a District Extension Forester or NRD.
- Develop a Work Plan of tree planting, removal, maintenance and keep active (maintenance portion) for ten years
- Submit to the NRD a proposed annual budget of estimated costs and how the community plans to meet these commitments for the length of the tree plan.
- Have an updated City Tree Ordinance.
- A copy of the Tree Plan and cover letter must be submitted to the NRD from the Community Tree Board no less than two weeks prior to the NRD Committee Meeting to consider action on the proposal.
- The applicant shall develop and submit a five year work plan for tree planting, with guidance from the District Extension Forester or NRD if possible.
- The plan shall include a map showing where trees will be planted, a list of the trees with desired size and number to be planted, a time table for completion of the project and an estimated project cost.
- Develop a Work Plan of tree planting, removal, maintanance; and keep active (maintenance portion) for ten years.
- The sponsoring group will be required to provide funds or in-kind services to match funds profided by the NRD.
- Applications shall be submitted prior to April 1st.