The Little Blue NRD Board of Directors approved the FY 2022 budget of $4,168,252 with a tax levy of .020879 at their September 14th meeting. Included in this budget is the Rural Water Project North budget of $286,004, and the Rural Water Project South budget of $263,106.
Some of the projects included in the budget are:
- Installation of 20 electrical camper pads at Prairie Lake Recreation Area just southwest of Hastings.
- Updated double restrooms at both Lone Star and Liberty Cove Recreation Areas. A grant application has been submitted to the Nebraska Game & Parks and if approved Lone Star will receive an additional single restroom and both recreation areas will have new playground equipment installed.
- Partial remodel of the district’s office to create three separate offices and painting throughout the building. Funding for this will come from sinking funds already set aside for the project.
- Completion of the Kenesaw Watershed Study to seek solutions to flooding issues.
- Completion of the All-Hazard Mitigation Plan Update which is a joint effort with the Lower Big Blue NRD with funding coming from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Continuation of the Blue River Basin Modeling project being done in cooperation with the Upper Big Blue and Lower Big Blue NRD’s. NE Department of Natural Resources is paying for 50% of this project.
- Urban Conservation Program grants are being provided to four towns and villages within the district to be used on drainage issues.
- Urban Park & Recreation Program grants to four towns.
- Search for a new water source for the Rural Water Projects and seek funding through grants and loans from USDA Rural Development.
Other items included are cost-share assistance for land treatment, irrigation, and water quality practices; dam cost share; tree program; buffer strip payments; flow meter maintenance.