Mark your calendars!
Now is the time to clean out your garage, basement, and barn. The Trailblazer Resources Conservation and Development (RC&D), Little Blue NRD, Lower Republican NRD, as well as local county commissioners and supervisors will be sponsoring a hazardous waste collection open to all residents in Clay, Fillmore, Franklin, Harlan, Nuckolls, Thayer, and Webster counties.
Collection Schedule is as follows:
- Friday, March 29
- 10 am to noon – Clay County Fairgrounds – 701 N Martin, Clay Center
- 2:30 to 4:30 pm – Nuckolls County Roads Department – 251 South Park St, Nelson
- Saturday, March 30
- 8 to 10 am – USDA Service Center, Red Cloud (Note: Location changed from Ball Field to USDA Service Center)
- 11 am to 1 pm – Alma City Park, John & South Streets, Alma
This is a FREE service provided by a coalition of organizations and volunteers concerned about the health of our environment, with financial support provided through a grant to the Trailblazer RC&D from the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality Waste Reduction & Recycling Program and other assistance provided by the local county commissioners and superintendents, and Natural Resources Districts (NRD).
The Red Willow County Hazardous Waste Team has been hired to conduct the collection and will be accepting old paint, pesticides, herbicides, oil, cleaning chemicals, yard and garden chemicals, antifreeze, fluorescent bulbs, mercury items such as thermometers and thermostats, and batteries FREE OF CHARGE! Household quantities only will be accepted, which means no containers over 5 gallons will be allowed.
What’s NOT Accepted
Items not being accepted are tires, electronic equipment, appliances, PCBs, Picric Acid, science lab materials, radioactive materials, biological hazards, pharmaceuticals, items containing asbestos, wood preservatives, explosives, or commercial quantities (over 5-gallon containers) of anything. The Household Hazardous Waste Program personnel reserve the right to reject any materials.
For more information or any questions contact:
- Alma – Todd Siel – (308) 928-2182
- Clay Center – Bruce Rumsey – (402) 762-3652
- Nelson – Ken Himmelberg – (402) 621-0234
- Red Cloud – Jim Farmer – (402) 746-4132